Going beyond the traditional constraints of the Learning Management System, the Learning Experience Platform (LXP) typically provides consumer-grade experiences to users in a variety of different ways. They tend to extend way beyond the capabilities of an LMS. And in order for them to be successful, we believe they must include many modern, innovative features.
Here are the top ten essential features of any good LXP. In handy dandy infographic form. Nice.
Any platform which cites itself as a next-gen system should have these features. But there is a caveat: learner engagement isn’t caused solely by new tech. Improvements in engagement come from steadfast dedication to evolving cultures, shifting mindsets and an ongoing, continuous commitment to change.
The good news is the likes of a Learning Experience Platform, laden with the features we listed above, can help you with that change. They can support you in your evolution and encourage your learners to love the technology they need to use to be better at their jobs. It’s not a fantasy. It’s 2019 and the real change learning technology needs is here.
1. Learning content beyond elearning
- User-generated content
- Curated web content/videos/websites etc
- Your elearning and other learning content
- 3rd party content libraries using open APIs
2. A modern user experience
- Consumer-grade user interface (think Netflix)
- Available on mobile via an app
- Intuitive user-experience, easy to use
- Supports the digital literacy of all employees
3. Easy content creation and curation
- Allow users to create and share a wide variety of content on any device
- Effortlessly integrate with 3rd party content aggregation tools
- Ensure content is highly searchable to users, replicating Google
- BONUS: Save content for easy access later
4. Personalisation as standard
- Uses structured and behavioural data to create unique experiences for every user
- Recommendations and, users can follow content and people for wider learning
- Uses machine learning to learn from behaviour, driving more intelligent engagements over time, the more the platform is used
- Support more standard personalisation around job role, training taken and more
5. Enhanced data insights and analytics
- Clear, easy to use visual dashboards for content/KPIs and more within the system
- Individual content performance and compliance reporting
- Learning history and manager views of their teams
6. Mobile app
If mobile learning is a priority for your business this is an absolute must-have feature. Not much more to be said on this one!
7. Connects people with people
- Follow and be inspired by mentors and connect and engage with newbies
- Profile page creation: sharing expertise and interests in one simple view
- Easy collaboration from and interaction in the form of sharing, liking and commenting on content, following and recommendations.
- Auto-curation: Keeping the system alive with content without involvement from admins. Essential.
- Auto-onboarding: Engage with users from day dot without having to lift a finger
- Auto-reporting: Spot what’s working (and what’s not) and better target learners
- Auto-engagement: Push notifications, badging, leaderboards etc
9. Social learning
- Support a wide range of user-generated content
- Interactions with content including likes, shares, comments
- Powerful search functionality to ensure content is easy to find
- Supercharged data tracking for ongoing iteration
10. Rewards and recognition
- Points – Users can accumulate points for desired interactions
- Achievements – Allow users to see their progression in the system
- Ranking – Ensure greater engagement through meaningful competition.